Viveka, was designed by Frank Paine of Paine, Belknap & Skene and built by Fred Lawley in Quincy, Massachusetts, in 1929 and 1930.
She was designed for J.P. Morgan who wanted a cruising boat that was fast as well. Thus, Frank Paine designed her to rate at the top of the class G and at the same time under the universal rules in the 12-meter class, one of the few schooners out there to rate in this class.
During the Second World War, under the name Seaweed, she became part of the “The Hooligan’s Navy”, a government fleet of pleasure vessels used as spotter boats on both the West and East coasts.
Until recently Viveka was owned by Merl Petersen, who circumnavigated with her one and half times. He then sold her to a British yachtsman in 2012, who sold her to the current owner. Together the two of them along with Rutherford’s Boat shop in Richmond, California, have restored Viveka to the elegant yacht she is today, trying to keep as much as possible to her original designs and layout.